This activity comes from one of our Preschool Pals teachers and is a great game for you and your preschooler to play at home together.
What You Need:
- Cards with all the letters of the alphabet (uppercase AND lowercase)
- A wall you can put tape on in a room with lots of space to run
- A helper! (that’s you, caregiver, family member, or friend!)
If you do not have letter cards, here’s how you can make your own:
Cut paper into small squares. On each square, write the upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet. Then tape these squares on the wall in a random order. (Make sure you tape them at a height your child can reach.)
How to Play:
Level 1: Letter Names
The helper calls out a letter from the wall. The child then runs to the wall, finds the letter, and tags it with their hand.
Level 2: Letter Sounds
The helper calls out a letter sound. The child then runs to tag the correct letter.
Level 3: Word Sounds
• Option 1: The helper puts an object in front of them and the child must run and tag the first letter in the name of the object. (Example: the helper sets a cup in front of them, so the child should tag the letter “C.”)
• Option 2: The helper calls out a word and the child runs to tag the first letter of that word.